Saturday, June 30, 2012

Stir-Fried Sugar Snap Peas with Shitake Mushrooms

Really flavorful dish, my husband really loved it. I served the dish on rice with Stir Fried Shrimp with Garlic Sauce from The Breath of a Wok page 106, as the side dish. It was the perfect pairing. As usual, I had all of the ingredients chopped, minced and ready to fly, making it an easy and quick task once the wok was hot. I did run into a couple of things that didn't quite go as the recipe implied. For instance the mushrooms didn't absorb all of the liquid and to keep them from getting mushy I pulled some of the excess liquid out, continued on with the recipe and added the mushroom liquid back in at the end. Oh yum! There was one other thing that didn't quite work as the recipe said and I totally think it was the age of the product. The sugar snap peas took about 6 minutes to get tender instead of the 3 minutes and even then they were a little tough. But like I said I think the sugar snap peas that I used were older and therefore didn't cook up just right. I am having a problem finding local tender sugar snap peas, is it the time of year? I warmed it in the microwave the next day at work and had people asking me what that aroma was and did I really make it. LOL
Another great recipe from Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge. Wok On! GG

2 comments:

  1. GG, I'm sorry the sugar snaps took 6 mins and were still tough. I would guess that you didn't have young sugar snaps. I don't know where you live and therefore when sugar snaps are in season for you. I'm in NYC and we've had them in the farmer's market for the last few weeks and they're also in the supermarket. You can also use snow peas in place of the sugar snaps. I love your posts. Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Grace, okay now I feel really dense. There are snow peas and sugar snap? Holy Moly, I have some research to do. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am married to my very best friend, Todd. We both enjoy doing so many of the same things yet we enjoy our time apart as well. I love to cook, hike, walk, ride my bike and especially spend time with our dogs.